About the Journal
Focus and Scope
Education Review (ISSN: 10945296) publishes reviews of recent books on education scholarship and practice in English, Spanish, and Portuguese. The journal also hosts ongoing publication series, Acquired Wisdom (English) and Pedagogical Legacies (Portuguese), celebrating the work of esteemed educational researchers.
All book reviews are subject to revision by the Editors, including editing for consistency in style and formatting, according to the discretion of the Editors.
The Editors reserve the right to accept or deny requests to review, and the submission of a review or revision does not guarantee publication.
Reviewers may request one book at a time, and multiple requests will result in all requests denied.
Authors of reviews pending editorial decisions may not request another book for review until an editorial decision has been made.
Note to students: While the journal publishes reviews authored by students, we ask that students do not request books to review for class assignments. If a professor or instructor has suggested that you submit a book review for consideration, please note this in your "qualifications" statement.
Peer Review Process
When we evaluate book reviews, we ask does the author:
- examine the content of the book, the author’s treatment of the topic, and the author’s conclusions?
- provide a clear idea of the contents of the book under consideration?
- integrate the various themes of the book, avoiding a chapter-by-chapter treatment of topics?
- position the book within the discipline and/or suggest its importance to the field?
- illustrate and discuss the strong and weak points of the book in a critical and respectful manner?
- quotations from the book or related works to illustrate or provide specific examples of the type of analysis or style of the author? (not a succession of long quotations)
- present a reasoned evaluation of the book and its conclusions?
- write in a clear and engaging style?
- achieve high standards of clarity of presentation, organization of ideas, format and length?
Open Access Policy
Open Access Policy / Code of Conduct
This journal provides immediate open access to its content, based on the principle that making research freely available to the public encourages knowledge sharing and the international circulation of ideas.
This journal strives to guarantee the open access publication standards established by the Association of Open Access Editors (OASPA) and its definition of open access as: a) The dissemination of peer-reviewed manuscripts; without charging user groups, without requiring registration or other access barriers; and b) copyright holders allow users to copy, use, distribute, transmit and display the work publicly in any digital medium for any responsible purpose, subject to proper attribution of authorship.
Publishers that wish to have titles considered for review in the Education Review may mail a review copy on the following topics to:
Current Issues in Education, Leadership, and Teaching and Learning: Melissa Cast-Brede (English only)
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Roskens Hall 308
601 S. Saddle Creek Road
Omaha, Nebraska 68106
Policy and Governance, Race and Culture, School Reform, and Special Education: Gustavo Fischman
If sending through regular USPS mail:
Arizona State University
PO BOX 871811
Tempe, AZ 85287-1811
If sending through UPS, FedEx or another courier service:
Arizona State University
1000 S. Forest Mall
Payne Hall, Suite 204
Tempe, AZ 85287-1811
Education Review is supported by the Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College at Arizona State University, Anped - Associação Nacional de Pós-Graduação e Pesquisa em Educação and the following book publishers:
- American Psychological Association
- Beacon Press
- Berghahn Books
- Corwin Press
- Edward Elgar Publishing
- Guilford Press
- Information Age Publishing
- Institute of Language & Education Policy
- Lawrence Erhlbaum
- Lexington Books
- NCPEA Publications
- Palgrave Macmillan
- Paul H. Brookes
- Peter Lang
- Prufrock Press
- Public Affairs
- Riverhead Books
- Routledge Education
- Rowman & Littlefield
- Russell Sage Foundation
- SAGE Publications
- Scribner Publishing
- Sense Publishers
- W. W. Norton
And university presses:
- Cambridge University Press
- Columbia University Press
- Duke University Press
- Harvard Education Press
- Johns Hopkins University Press
- Minnesota University Press
- MIT Press
- New York University Press
- Oxford University Press USA
- Princeton University Press
- Rutgers University Press
- Stanford University Press
- Teachers College Press
- UCL Institute of Education
- University of Chicago Press
- University of Minnesota Press
- Utah State University Press
Since 1998, EdRev has published reviews of recent books in education, covering the entire range of education scholarship and practice.